Wednesday 22 April 2020

THE WORK FROM HOME EDIT: LOCKDOWN EDITION



Hey guys! So like many others, I've taken to working from home during the UK lockdown (fucking coronavirus). I've been working remotely for over a month now, as I am super lucky to work for a cloud-based business. 

This whole "working from home" thing is pretty new to me, but I've picked up a few helpful tips that I thought would be worth sharing for anyone who is in the same boat as me. 

Useful Tools 

There are some amazing tools out there that can really make working from home a lot easier. 

Here are my top 5:

1. Canva

I have used Canva for years, most of what I design for this blog is designed via Canva. This is a free editing tool many businesses use to create beautiful content. 

Now is a great time to concentrate on content for your business, as people are more active on social media, so get creative

2. InVision

This is a new discovery for me! This is basically an online whiteboard that you can use for hangout meetings. This makes training from home a lot more interactive and fun - providing everybody behaves

3. Project Management Tools

My job is usually made up of lots of different tasks that need to be completed for a set period of time. I use a project management tool to help me schedule these tasks and keep track of everything in one place. 

My workplace uses Wrike, which has a lot of amazing premium tools you can use to increase efficiency, but I have heard Trello is a great alternative. 

4. Slack

Communication is key to a successful team, but remote working makes this difficult. I'd recommend finding a strong communication channel where you can all keep each other up to date. I use slack, which is perfect as you can integrate many useful applications to increase communication abilities. Plus the banter capabilities are A*. 

5. Google Hangouts

Google Hangouts is the perfect platform to host online meetings. I personally don't enjoy Zoom much, as there always seems to be technical difficulties! Google Hangouts is also a great tool to use to stay in touch with friends and family as it is simple and free to use! 

Managing Work/Life Balance

Tools are great, but the biggest struggle remote working creates is the negative effects it can have on our mental health. This, on top of lockdown restrictions, makes it a difficult time mentally for many of us. 

Here are my top 5 tips to stay sane:  

1. Separate workspace 

If you can, find a different room to where you sleep to work in. If your workspace and rest space are the same, it makes it really hard for you to switch off and get some quality sleep without stressing about work. 

I know this can be difficult, even for me its a struggle living in a one-bedroom apartment and not having an office space to escape to. However, the more you can separate work and life, the better. 

2. Set working hours

It can be very easy to blur the lines between work and life. Make sure you give yourself set times to start and finish work, as well as a set lunch break. This will stop you from over-working, or from procrastinating.

To make sure you stick to this, schedule some time in for a hangout call with colleagues at the beginning and end of your working day, to discuss what you've got planned for the day. 

3. Pick up hobbies

A lot of hobbies you may have enjoyed previously are probably put on hold for now (pub, I miss you too). If that's the case, try and pick up a new hobby to keep yourself entertained after work. Personally, I've taken to blogging again and doing some Yoga in the morning. 

4. Listen to music 

I hate working in silence! When I am in the office, it's never silent - so why should it be at home? Put on your favourite playlist for a serotonin boost, or listen to some Lo-Fi music when you need to concentrate on tasks. 

5. Stay in touch with work friends

It can be really easy to lose touch with people when you are secluded to your own space. Make sure to schedule some time to catch up with your work friends, just like you would when you go to make a cup of tea in the office. Company culture is so important to any business, so try and keep the culture going outside the office too! 

Do you have any useful tips to share? 

Love Rebecca Ashley x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig